10 Reasons to Choose Shipping Containers for Long-Term Storage
If you’re looking to renovate or free up some space at home or in your business, there are plenty of benefits of using shipping containers for long-term storage. Shipping containers come in a variety of sizes and can accommodate big and small items and it won’t cost you a lot to rent or buy a shipping container for storing your most prized possessions.
At Sigma Container Corporation, we have professional shipping container movers in Ontario with over 40 years of experience. We have worked with long-term clients who have specific projects where they need to keep their items in shipping containers. Regardless, if you need shipping containers for self-storage for an extended time, we are here to work within your investment. If you’re still weighing the pros and cons of using shipping containers, let’s take a look at ten reasons to choose shipping containers for long-term storage.
Shipping containers are portable and can be easily transported. Having the convenience to pack the items you need for storage then placing them in your shipping container is a huge benefit. What’s even better is that you decide where you want your shipping container to be placed. You can choose to place it right in your backyard and be only a few steps away if you need to place or take something out of it.
By renting or buying a shipping container for long-term storage, is one of the most secure ways to protect your belongings. Shipping containers are built with secure doors and give you the most reliable security because you have the choice to make it even more secure. For instance, you can add a heavy-duty lockbox system on the doors, which protects them against getting broken into.
Clears up space
If your home or office space is getting cluttered or you’re becoming a minimalist, using a shipping container to store big items is the best solution to instantly clear up space. Storing items such as electronics, tables, desks, beds, mattresses, and chairs are all perfect for decluttering and can easily fit into a shipping container.
Protect your investment
Have priceless family heirlooms or expensive art you need to protect? A shipping container is perfect for protecting your investment as it can be securely locked and is rarely affected by inclement weather. Since shipping containers are built with materials that are built to last throughout the four seasons, you can rest assured that your investments placed in your shipping container are safely stored throughout harsh winters and thunderstorms.
Perfect for downsizing
With people constantly moving from house to house, many homeowners are downsizing due to retirement or going through the empty nest stage in their lives. Deciding to sell your house and move into a smaller home or condominium gives you smaller space to work with and you probably will need to store some big items in a shipping container.
Great for moving
If you’re moving to a new house or even a new city, you might have some important items that you can’t take with you. If selling them is not an option, a shipping container is the best solution. If you’re planning to move multiple times within a specific period, having your items stored in a container gives you peace of mind, as you won’t have to worry about paying a moving company to move your items each time you move.
One of the main benefits of using a shipping container for long-term storage is that you decide if you want to rent or purchase a new or used container. Using shipping containers is a more cost-effective solution compared to using storage facilities. The investment is smaller and more importantly, they arrive ready for use. There is no need to rebuild them and in the long run, they can save you money as they can withstand tough weather conditions.
Since shipping containers are manufactured with steel and metal materials, they do require regular maintenance and cleaning. Since still water is the main culprit for creating rust and corrosion on shipping containers, it is your responsibility to check for rust and remove still water sitting on top of your container’s roof.
If you’re a small business owner and you need to store some of your excess furniture or business items in a shipping container, come tax season you might be able to write it off. Our advice is to lease a shipping container as opposed to buying one as the lease will be considered as a deductible expense.
Make the most of your space
If you require multiple shipping containers, they are manufactured to be stackable. Containers are compact enough to make the most of your space and stacking them on top of each other saves a lot of space. It might seem like a daunting task to access them if they are stacked on top of each other. But all you need to do is add ladders or stairs to the containers and you gain easy access.
Contact Sigma Container
As you can see, there are many benefits to using shipping containers for storage purposes. To recap, here are ten reasons to choose shipping containers for long-term storage:
- Convenient. Shipping containers are portable and can be placed on your property, giving you easy access.
- Secure. Adding layers of protection such as lockboxes, an alarm monitoring system, or a door bar, can keep your items secure in a shipping container.
- Clears up space. Decluttering and becoming a minimalist is easy when you use a shipping container to store your big furniture items.
- Protect your investment. Expensive items such as artwork and family heirlooms can be safely stored in a shipping container and protect your investment against damage or theft.
- Perfect for downsizing. If you plan to downsize into a condominium or smaller house, placing excess items in a shipping container is a good solution.
- Great for moving. Moving around from house to house? Don’t worry about hiring a moving company to move your big items, opt for a shipping container to store your items for the long term.
- Cost-effective. Shipping containers come in a variety of sizes and can accommodate your budget. In the long run, it’s cost-effective to use a shipping container, as you can save money on storage.
- Easy maintenance. To prevent rust and corrosion from damaging your shipping container, they require regular maintenance that you can do on your own time and it’s easy to clean them.
- Tax benefits. Business owners who lease a shipping container can claim it on their taxes as a deductible expense.
- Make the most of your space. Since shipping containers are stackable, having multiple containers won’t take up too much space. You can add ladders or stairs to gain access.